Protected by Copyscape DMCA Copyright Detector

Thursday, February 04, 2010

I am vertical....


But I'd rather be horizontal
I am not a tree with my root in the soil
Sucking up minerals and motherly love
So that each March I may gleam into leaf,
Nor am I the beauty of a garden bed
Attracting my share of Ahs and spectacularly painted,
Unknowing I must soon unpetal
Compared with me, a tree is immortal
And a flower-head not tall, but more stratling,
And I want the one's longevity and the other's daring.

Tonight, in the infinitesmallight of the stars,
The trees and the flowers have been strewing their cool odors.
I walk among them, but none of them are noticing
Sometimes I think that when I am sleeping
I must most perfectly resemble them
Thoughts gone dim
It is more natural to me lying down
Then the sky and I are in open conversation
And I shall be useful when I lie down finally
Then the trees may touch me for once, and the flowers have time for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am vertical -Sylvia Plath-

I like this Sylvia Plath's poem, it is simply genuinely beautiful.
It radiates with a kind of serenity while having something poignant about it, that makes you feel the intensity of every line and word, words that are just so beautifully put together by the poetess!
I don't know what it is exactly supposed to be about, but having read about Sylvia Plath's life, I think there is an obvious referrence to death in the last line as she herself commited suicide.
However, I like the poetess' imagination...how she associated the postion of lying down with a whole mental perception, that can tell more about one's personality. And how she precisely wants to detach herself from her "conventional" vertical position as a human, shows that there's something more about the vertical position itself that she wants to make herself get rid of!

No comments: